Volunteer Location: Frank Baxter Youth Justice Centre or various locations upon release
Commitment: Weekdays 3 – 4 hours on a fortnightly basis for 12 months
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
Stand As One program provides targeted mentoring for young people exiting custody, aiming to reduce their risk of re-offending and assist their integration back into the community by providing life skills that support positive life choices, linking to education and training opportunities, providing pathways to sustainable employment, connecting young people to ongoing support networks, increasing engagement and participation with their community, friends and services. This is achieved through linking volunteer mentors with young people who have a history with the criminal justice system.
What you will be doing
- Mentoring the mentee (young person participating in the Stand As One program) for a period of 12 months on a 3-4 hour fortnightly basis.
- Assisting young persons who have exited custody or serving community orders to reintegrate successfully into the community through the provision of regular support.
- Providing support and practical assistance to access local services.
- Creating a positive professional support relationship with the Mentee.
- Be 21 years or older
- Tertiary Qualifications in relevant field or experience working with young people
- Current Working with Children Check (Volunteer )
- Current Drivers Licence
- Criminal History Records Check (organised by SHINE for Kids)
Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
Training and supervision will be provided.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here Position and Job Description – SAO – Mentor Rev 2.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and is suitable for you, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.