- Location: Clarence Correctional Complex
- We are seeking 4 volunteers for this opportunity
- Minimum 12 months commitment (Varying weekday shifts, between 8am-5pm)
Who we are
Founded in 1982, SHINE for Kids has provided crucial support to children and young people with incarcerated parents and/or relatives for over 35 years. The invisible victims of crime, children experience significant psychological trauma and impact on their emotional and social development as a result of their parent’s imprisonment.
The only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy to adulthood, SHINE for Kids programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
SHINE’s programs are designed to provide support and positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation and intergenerational offending, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
The following programs are currently being delivered at Clarence Correctional Centre:
- Keeping Us Together
- Keeping Us Strong
- Storytime Program
Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking volunteers to assist with the following;
- Supporting and assisting the Northern Rivers Child and Child and Family facilitators who are implementing and facilitating the Keeping Us Together, Rhythm to Recovery, Storytime and Keeping Us Strong programs
- Attending the program sessions to support the Northern Rivers Child and Child and Family facilitators at the Clarence Correctional Complex
- Follow instructions provided by the Northern Rivers Child and Child and Family facilitators
- Complete training on SFK Impact Portal if required
- Be consistent with role and attendance
- Complete database entries and uploading forms to SFK Impact portal if required
- Entering SHINE for Kids referrals onto the SFK Impact Portal if required
- Contacting carers/families and complete assessments as required
- Maintaining an open, warm and professional relationship with all people in custody
- Showing a non –judgmental attitude towards people in custody
- Be aware of, and adhere to, SHINE for Kids policies and procedures including the Professional Conduct and Ethics Policy.
- Ensuring that the work carried out contributes to the achievement of the SHINE for Kids Strategic Plan and reflects organisational core values.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Supporting the Northern Rivers Child and Family manager and Child and Family facilitators with office administrative tasks and programs related to work at the Centre as required.
- Tertiary qualifications in social work, mental health support, criminal studies or relevant field or experience working with young people
- Current Working with Children Check
- National Police Check (undertaken by SHINE for Kids )
- SERCO Clearance
- You will required to complete Mandatory Drug and Alcohol testing
- Current Drivers Licence
Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to help us to create a safer organisation for children and young people we support. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
Training and supervision will be provided.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here: Position and Job Description – Clarence Correctional Complex Programs Volunteer – Rev 1.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and is suitable for you, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.