Our dedicated volunteers are vital to the success of our programs and services. The more volunteers we have, the more children, young people and families we are able to reach.
Volunteers support our people in 31 Correctional Centres across NSW, Vic, WA, Qld and the ACT in a wide variety of roles.
Benefits of volunteering
Children and young people benefit from our volunteers in many ways including:
- being introduced to other caring adults
- developing friendships formed on mutual respect, acceptance and non-judgemental values
- feeling valued, listened to, and accepted
- building positive self-esteem and sense of worth
What volunteers do
When you volunteer for us, you’re joining a dynamic and often highly-skilled group of volunteers who are passionate about building a brighter future for children and young people.
Depending on location, skills and experience, volunteers:
- help staff and deliver services at our Child and Family Centres
- help make transitions and setting up of playrooms run smoothly
- support the delivery of our programs including prison In-visits, Child/Parent Activity Days, Supported Transport, administration and fundraising
- provide a mentoring role in some programs
Matching volunteers locally
Our Volunteer Coordinator uses skills and experience profiles to match volunteers with available opportunities locally. We work flexibly with each volunteer around their own family and life commitments.
Every volunteer is treated as a valued and respected team member and given the appropriate training and support services required to feel part of a team.
Becoming a mentor is a rewarding experience for both the mentor and the mentee. Volunteer mentors are integral to some of our programs such as RISE Education Program. They are matched, checked, trained and supported by us and meet with a child or young person on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis. We advertise available mentor positions on this website as well as on Seek Volunteers.
We have a Volunteer Recognition Program, and celebrate National Volunteer Week and International Volunteer Day at each location. An annual Volunteer Thank you event is also held at all service delivery locations.