- Multiple casual opportunities available
- Various locations
- Enquire now
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people who have a parent in prison.
The Transport Support Worker provides transport and support to children to help maintain a close relationship with their incarcerated parent(s). The SHINE for Kids Supported Transport Program ensures that the parent/child relationship is not affected by the impact of imprisonment and is designed to help children maintain, develop the child and parent bond.
What you will be doing:
- Collecting child/ren from an arranged location and transporting them to their incarcerated parent.
- Returning child/ren to an arranged location after their visit.
- Emotionally supporting children before, during and after visits with their incarcerated parent.
- Remaining on the visit with the child/ren or to leave the child/ren with their incarcerated parent and return after a prearranged time to collect them.
- Immediately contacting the Family Support Worker who coordinated the visit if there are any concerns regarding the visit that took place or in relation to the child/ren.
- Ensuring the visit is appropriate and in the best interest of the child.
- Ensuring the conversation with child and parent is appropriate in nature and if inappropriate to redirect, stop if necessary and report.
- Writing report/account of what took place on the visit immediately after the visit on the electronic report form.
- Completing case notes, reports and records of client information on the SHINE for Kids database as soon as practically possible after the visit ( no more two days)
- Liaising with the child/ren parent/guardian and providing information on what the visit wiil entail (ie clothing, food, what is allowed to brought for the visit)
- Ensuring absolute compliance with Correctional Facilities policies and procedure in a polite and courteous manner.
- Facilitating the visit between the child and parent if or as required
- Remaining calm, composed and professional at all times
- Maintaining an open, warm and professional relationship with all stakeholders
- Maintaining professional boundaries with all stakeholder involved throughout the process
Supervision of volunteers
- Supervision and support of volunteers and students as required by the visit
- Child or Communnity Service Certificate or equivalent experience
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Working with Children Check (Paid)
- Current Drivers Licence (unrestricted)
- Criminal History Records Check
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.
If you have the skills and experience outlined please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing the above skills and experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]