We are seeking volunteers for this volunteering opportunity. This opportunity will see you volunteering across Bathurst Region in local schools.
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
SHINE for Kids programs are designed to provide positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
The RISE Education Program provides students with an incarcerated parent with a dedicated mentor who will provide them with support in the classroom for a 12 month period. This may be in the classroom with class work, building their conﬁdence in social environments, or in the playground playing ball and talking about whatever is on their mind that day.
Schools can be a protective or risk factor for primary aged children with an incarcerated parent. There is a strong correlation between children with a parent in prison and child who end up in the juvenile justice system and then become incarcerated as adults. This is the cycle the RISE Education Program is trying to break.
The program aims to increase school attendance, educational outcomes, self-esteem and decrease antisocial behavior and school suspensions.
RISE Education Mentors are responsible for providing one on one mentoring in the classroom weekly for one hour to a student with a parent in prison. By providing the student with a positive role model and someone to advocate for them within the school environment you are ensuring they don’t just survive a difficult time in their life but that they thrive.
What we are looking for in our volunteers:
- Previous mentoring experience with young people
- Demonstrated high level verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work on issues requiring complex conflict resolution and negotiation.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders at one time
- Intermediate to Advance use of MS suite
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to think laterally in relation to problems/issues
- Attention to detail and a hands on approach
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues and challenges that young people face
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues and challenges that children of prisoners face.
- Understanding of the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Culturally and Linguistically diverse young people and families
- Awareness of current Child protection legislative requirements
- The capacity to work professionally with appropriate boundaries(personal and professional) in an independent role
- Commitment to a long term mentoring relationship (minimum 12 months, 1 hour per week
- knowledge of access to social support and networks
- Education, Community Welfare, Social Work, Welfare or Social Sciences experience
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current Drivers Licence ( travel around Greater Sydney area)
- Criminal History Records Check (where applicable)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
Please see Position and Job Description for more information. Position and Job Description – RISE Education Program Mentor Volunteer Bathurst Region – Rev 1.0
If you have the time, skills and willing to make a commitment please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now.