Part-Time, 2 days a week 12 month maximum – term contract
NFP Salary packaging
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people who have a parent in prison.
The RISE Education Program is a place-based Cessnock pilot project for at-risk primary aged children who have incarcerated parents. The Program gives students access to a vital support system encouraging their learning and development. It provides every student with an independent adult supporting the student academically, socially and culturally. Tailored one-on-one support in the classroom ensures children with incarcerated parents are positively engaging with education and provided the holistic support and resilience they need to not just survive an exceptionally difficult period in their lives, but thrive academically.
To implement SHINE Education Support Program (RISE) in Newcastle and Hunter region, the role will be responsible for developing and maintain relationships with schools, carers, incarcerated parent, volunteer mentors and students.
- Identify schools in the catchment area with students affected by parental incarceration
- Develop and hold a co-design meeting with schools and relevant community organisations to foster wrap around support for children with a parent incarcerated.
- Maintain regular communication with school staff to develop and implement the service in the classroom.
- Carry out educational assessments on children accessing the program prior to their commencement and at regular intervals during their participation in the program
- Linking young person with appropriate mentor
- Regular check in with school, family and mentor to review progress
- Make recommendations in relation to the case planning of each child
- Undertake project evaluations and risk management assessments of the service
- Undertake office administrative tasks related to work at the office as required
- Compiling timely case notes, reports and record keeping of client information on the SHINE for Kids client database.
- Providing timely and accurate monthly reports detailing program performance, issues arising and future recommendations.
- Undertaking regular and annual project evaluation. This evaluation includes client surveys, statistical data and identifying any gaps in Education Support Program.
- Volunteer rostering for Education
- Recruiting and training of volunteers
- Supervising and supporting volunteers
You will have a minimum 2 years’ experience in case work, case management and referral skills, particularly working with vulnerable families.
You are required to hold a valid and paid working with children’s check and be able to pass security clearance checks.
If you have experience in the duties outlined please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing your experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.