Commitment to a long term mentoring relationship (minimum 12 months, 1 hour bi weekly or when required for the School Suspension and Homework programs)
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional
Education Mentors are responsible for providing one on one mentoring out of the classroom bi-weekly for one hour to a student with a parent in prison. By providing the student with a positive role model and ensuring that the child continues to engage in their educational needs away from the classroom through the Homework Program and school holiday activities plus – if required the School Suspension Program.
How you will be helping:
- Provide weekly support out of the classroom for one hour bi-weekly over the school terms with a Mentee
- Following session provide timely online Education Report to the Program Coordinator after any contact with Mentee.
- Work with teachers and relevant support workers within the school to aid a child in achieving their learning potential.
- Promote a caring, culturally appropriate and non-judgmental learning environment for young people where they are the priority and where they are treated with dignity and respect.
- Create a positive professional support relationship with the
- Maintain an open, warm and professional relationship with all teachers and school professionals
- Report any concerns about the safety of the Mentee to the Program Coordinator as soon as
- Attend a joint mentor and mentee outing once a year
- Willingness to undertake and successfully complete mentor training and undertake further training, as determined by SHINE for
- Willingness to learn about issues affecting young people involved in the criminal justice
- Advocate on behalf of young people as
- Adhere to mandatory reporting legislative requirements, policies and
- Undertake ongoing training relevant to this position and as per performance review action
- Education, Community Welfare, Social Work, Welfare or Social Sciences experience
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current Drivers Licence
- Criminal History Records Check (where applicable)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
Please see the Position and Job Description for more information. Position and Job Description – RISE Education Program Mentor Volunteer – Townsville – Rev 2.0
If you have the time, skills and willing to make a commitment please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now.