- 3 days per week for a 12 month period
- Exciting new program
- Hands on role
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
SHINE for Kids programs are designed to provide positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
Schools can be a protective or risk factor for primary aged children with an incarcerated parent. There is a strong correlation between children with a parent in prison and child who end up in the juvenile justice system and then become incarcerated as adults. This is the cycle the RISE Education Program is trying to break.
The RISE Education Program provides students with an incarcerated parent with a dedicated mentor who will provide them with support in the classroom for a 12 month period. This may be in the classroom with class work, building their conﬁdence in social environments, or in the playground playing ball and talking about whatever is on their mind that day.
The program aims to increase school attendance, educational outcomes, self-esteem and decrease antisocial behavior and school suspensions.
The RISE Education Coordinator is responsible for the overall coordination of the RISE Education Program and its implementation in Western Sydney. The role will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with schools, carers, incarcerated parent, volunteer mentors and students.
- Identify schools in the catchment area with students affected by parental incarceration
- Develop and hold a co-design meeting with schools and relevant community organisations to foster wrap around support for children with a parent incarcerated
- Host implementation meeting with Teachers
- Maintain regular communication with school staff to develop and implement the service in the classroom.
- Carry out educational assessments on children accessing the program prior to their commencement and at regular intervals during their participation in the program
- Work with SHINE Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and train volunteers
- Maintain an open, warm and very professional relationship with all parents/carers and share positive information about the children with their parents
- Make recommendations in relation to the case planning of each child
- Undertake project evaluations and risk management assessments of the service
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in case work, case management and referral skills, particularly with vulnerable families.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in conducting initial or brief assessments to determine the needs of children
- Hands on project management experience and implementation
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and challenges that children of prisoners face
- Demonstrate an awareness of the issues faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients
- Empathy and understanding of families in crisis and children at risk.
- An excellent telephone manner and ability to build rapport
- An enthusiastic, motivational and a proactive attitude to suit a fast paced environment
- Willingness to work in a busy and challenging environment
- Attention to detail and excellent observation skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Computer literacy with PC based applications (Word, Excel, Email, Internet, database)
- Appropriate Diploma or equivalent and appropriate vocational and or industrial experience.( Education, Community Welfare, Social Work, Welfare or Social Sciences)
- The capacity to receive clearance via a criminal record check.
- Current driver’s licence
- Current Working with Children’s Check
- Current First Aid Certificate and current Anaphylaxis/Asthma and Epilepsy management training
Please note this position involves work within a Correctional Centre environment.
Please see Position and Job Description for more information.
If you have the skills and experience outlined please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing the above skills and experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]