Location: Melbourne, Geelong Area, Prisons in Lara and Ravenhall
Saturday and Sundays
1 day per month with a minimum of 12 months commitment being essential
Founded in 1982, SHINE for Kids has provided crucial support to children and young people with incarcerated parents and/or relatives for over 35 years. The invisible victims of crime, children experience significant psychological trauma and deep impact on their socio-emotional development as a result of their parent’s imprisonment.
The only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy to adulthood, SHINE for Kids programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC, WA and QLD.
SHINE’s programs are designed to provide support and positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation and intergenerational offending, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
Ride By Your Side involves transporting and mentoring a child or young person for a 12-month period whilst their parent is in custody. It is specifically targeted to children and young people who would otherwise not be able to maintain contact with their parent and see them on a consistent basis. The Program ensures that the parent and child bond is maintained and the child is supported during a difficult time in their life.
Ride By Your Side offers AVLs (Audio Visual Link-up) for those families whose parents are transferred to another complex or when face-to-face visits are closed at the prisons due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- To pick up the child from their homes and drive them to the Prison to see their parent (monthly)
- Facilitate/Supervise the visit between the child and parent
- Take the child back home, talking in the car about how they are feeling about the visit
- Post-Visit debrief with the child
- Complete online report for SHINE for Kids
- If parent is released mentoring sessions with the child may be arranged (fortnightly)
- Participate in mentor debrief sessions
- Facilitate/Supervise AVL (Audio Visual Link up) between child and parent
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current Driver’s License (NSW)
- Criminal History Records Check (undertaken by SHINE for Kids)
- Comprehensive car insurance
Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
Training and supervision will be provided. The volunteer is required to attend 1 full day of training.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here: Position and Job Description – Volunteer Ride By Your Side – Geelong – Rev 2.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and you are able to meet the time requirements, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.