Various location throughout NSW
12 month commitment on weekends
Recruitment process takes approximately 12 weeks
Ride By Your Side involves transporting and mentoring a child or young person for a 12-month period whilst their mother is in prison. It is specifically targeted to children and young people who would otherwise not be able to maintain contact with their mother. The Program ensures that the mother and child bond is maintained and the child is supported during a difficult time in their life.
Ride By Your Side engages at-risk children with an adult mentor in a relaxed environment as they are transported to and from the prison where their mother is held. A minimum 12-months participation in the program by mentors is required in order to provide stability and an ongoing presence for the child.
The relationship between mentor and mentee begins when you take the child to the Correctional Centre to facilitate the visit with their mother. This occurs monthly on weekdays or weekends (depending upon the best interest of the child and your availability). Should the child’s mother be released before the 12-months is up, mentoring will continue fortnightly. You and your mentee will participate in social outings and other activities tailored to meet the needs and interests of the young person. As a mentor you provide the mentee with opportunities to speak without being judged, giving them a safe place to express their feelings and the challenges they would like to overcome.
All Volunteers will attend an initial interview. Upon a successful interview, Criminal Record and Working with Children Checks will be completed. An intensive one-day training package will be provided to ensure mentors are fully equipped to fulfil their roles. All mentors will receive ongoing supervision and support from SHINE for Kids.
You will be doing the following:
- Contacting the carer prior to visit to arrange pick up time
- Picking up the child from their homes and driving them to the Prison to see their mother (monthly)
- Facilitating the visit between the child and mother
- Taking the child back home, talking in the car about how they are feeling about the visit
- Completing the online Mentor report for SHINE for Kids
- Arranging a catch up with the child to see how they are going (fortnightly) when their mother is released
Volunteers will be required to use their own vehicles. The young person you are matched with will live in the Sydney area and the Correctional Centre you will visit will be located in the Sydney area.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers takes seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.
* NSW Driver’s Licence
* Own vehicle with comprehensive car insurance
* NSW Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain
* Criminal record check
* Demonstrated experience working with children and young people
Please view the Position Description Position and Job Description – Volunteer Ride By Your Side – Rev 1.0