Locations: Various throughout NSW – Silverwater, Parklea, Windsor, Long Bay, Bathurst, Cessnock, Wellington, Junee, Kempsey, Goulburn, Nowra
Time required: Weekends and public holidays
Volunteering in the Prison Invisits Program includes facilitating activities/games for children during visiting hours with their parent in prison, with a focus on making the visits environment more child-friendly. Volunteers hold a valuable role in ensuring that children have a positive experience during these visits with their family. The program seeks to strengthen the bond between parents and children.
Activities with children to facilitate play and bonding with the parent may include:
- Art activities
- Games including board games and ball games
- Craft activities including painting, drawing and art construction
- Books and reading activities
- Toys that make the environment feel safe and familiar
- Themed activities specific to celebration days e.g. making cards for birthdays, Easter, Christmas, making cakes for mother’s day and other special occasions
- Experience in working with children is preferred although not essential. A friendly and open personality with a willingness to work within the prison visitors’ centre is a requirement. In most cases, volunteers work in pairs.
- A Working with Children Check is required and is free for volunteers.
- Online Correctional Centre induction training
- SHINE for Kids program training and supervision
Please note: Our Volunteer recruitment process takes a minimum of 12 weeks. We thank you for your patience and understanding.