Locations: Barwon, Marngoneet Correctional Centre and Metropolitan Remand Centre
Volunteering Days: Saturday and Sundays and Public holidays
Our Prison In-Visits Programs offer:
- Prison In-Visits Program – The Prison In-Visits program supports positive family interaction and provides a variety of arts, craft and diversionary activities for children to share with their parents. This program is conducted within the relevant visiting area of the Correctional Centre.
- Child and Parent Days – This program ensures that children are able to stay connected to their parent, maintaining their child-parent bond despite the barriers of prison. This child focused program emphasizes the importance of the offender parent having sole responsibility for their children, having an opportunity to practice their parenting skills and to connect with their children over a longer period of time. This program is only offered in school holidays and is conducted within the Correctional Centre.
- Support the Prison In-Visit Volunteer to implement the program for the Prison in-Visits program, ensuring they’re meeting the needs of children visiting the Correctional Centre and are implemented in a flexible, age appropriate, culturally competent and safe manner.
- Maintain an open, warm and professional relationship with all parents (inmate and non-inmate) and share positive information about children with their parents.
- Provide continuous improvement ideas wherever possible to enhance the quality of the services provided within SHINE for Kids programs.
- Support the Prison In-visit volunteers to implement Prison In-Visit events such as Christmas parties, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and cultural events and activities such NAIDOC Day, Chinese New Year, etc.
- Community Welfare, Social Work, Welfare or Social Sciences experience preferred
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Working with Children Check
- Criminal History Records Check (where applicable)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks and professional registration checks.
If you would like to learn more about the volunteer opportunity, please read the Position Description.
If you have the time, skills and willing to make a commitment please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now.