Work with us
Child & Family Coordinator – Wellington, NSW
Located at Wellington NSW
Part time with weekend penalties
Generous salary packaging
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC, QLD and WA. This position is based at Wellington Correctional Centre.
Child and Family Coordinators support children, young people and their families and friends when visiting. The Wellington Correctional Centre in the Visits area and through the Child Parent days. SHINE for Kids employees and volunteers provide age appropriate activities for children/young people to have ‘time out’, to experience play time, to connect with other children in the same situation and to have an opportunity to have a more pleasant experience when visiting their parent. Our programs support family and friends with information, referral services and advocacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Child & Family Coordinator will offer important services to visitors:
- Prison In-Visits Program – The Prison In-Visits program supports positive family interaction and provides a variety of arts, craft and diversionary activities for children to share with their parents. This program is conducted within the relevant visiting area of Wellington Correctional Centre
- Child/ Parent Activity Days – This program ensures that children are able to stay connected to their parent in custody, maintaining their child-parent bond despite the barriers of prison. This child focused program emphasizes the importance of the parent in custody having sole responsibility for their children, having an opportunity to practice their parenting skills and to connect with their children over a longer period of time (up to 4 hours). This program is only offered in school holidays and is conducted twice a year per complex
- Ensure necessary resources are available for the smooth running of the prison in-visits programs and that COVID-19 safe procedures are followed
- Run the adaptive service delivery approved programs during visit closures due to Covid restrictions such as -Art and Craft days and storytime (one session model) as required and directed by SHINE for Kids executive team and after consultation for approval with Wellington Correctional Centre management
- During third party restrictions run adaptive service delivery activities- Family Connection packs and other activities as directed
- Ensure all resources in the invisits area have prior approval with Wellington Correctional Centre
- Complete volunteer recruitment work as needed and ensure volunteer induction processes are completed
- Complete training with Volunteers on SHINE for Kids policies and procedures
- Train /support volunteers to facilitate the in-visit program at each of the contracted locations at Wellington Correctional Centre
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care, Certificate III Early Childhood Education and Care or lived experience
- Current Working with Children Check (Paid)
- National Police Check
- COVID-19 Vaccination
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
- Current Drivers License and own transport
Key Selection Criteria
- Minimum 3 years experience working with children, young people and their families
- Experience in working with children/young people and programming child centered activities
- Experience in working with volunteers as an integral part of a service delivery model.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and challenges that children of prisoners face.
- Understand the issues and challenges facing Aboriginal young people who have a parent in prison and culturally and linguistic diverse backgrounds
The base rate for this position is $32.54 + superannuation. Additional penalty rates will apply for weekend work.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have the skills and experience outlined, please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing the above skills and experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.
We kindly ask recruiters not to submit any applicants