Location: Brisbane Women’s, Helena Jones and Numinbah Correctional Centres
Volunteer session times (subject to change) for Numinbah CC:
- Playgroup: Wed/Thurs – 9:00 am to 11:30 am
- Keeping us Together: Wed/Thurs – 9:30 am to 11:30 am and 12:30 pm -2:30 pm
- Prison Invisits: Saturday – 1pm to 3pm and Sunday – 10am to 12noon
Volunteer session times (subject to change) for Brisbane Women’s and Helena Jones CC:
- Playgroup: Mon/Fri – 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Keeping us Together: Mon/Fri- 1:00pm to 3:00pm
- Prison Invisits: Saturday – 1pm to 3pm & Sunday – 10 am to 12 noon
Founded in 1982, SHINE for Kids has provided crucial support to children and young people with incarcerated parents and/or relatives for over 35 years. The invisible victims of crime, children experience significant psychological trauma and deep impact on their socio-emotional development as a result of their parent’s imprisonment.
The only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy to adulthood, SHINE for Kids programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
SHINE’s programs are designed to provide support and positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation and intergenerational offending, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
- Playgroup provides opportunities for parents and children to enhance their relationship in a supportive environment, increase their parenting skills and confidence and develop valuable social and family support networks.
- Stay Together and Play Together programs offer high-quality, fun, structured and unstructured play experiences for children and mum in custody and provide opportunities for play-based learning to support positive child development.
- The Keeping Us Together parenting program is offered to mums in custody and helps them to understand the dynamics of and build confidence in building healthy, respectful relationships with their children. The program is structured into six workshops, 2 hours each, with each workshop focusing on a particular component of the parent– child relationship.
- Prison In-Visits program supports positive family interaction and provides a variety of arts, craft and diversionary activities for children to share with their parents.
These programs are conducted within the Brisbane Women’s, Helena Jones and Numinbah Correctional Centres.
- Helping to implement and facilitating the programs, ensuring it is meeting the needs of children visiting the Correctional Centre and is implemented, in a flexible, age appropriate, culturally competent and safe manner.
- Supporting in facilitation of the Keeping Us Together parenting program, ensuring mothers in custody feel safe and encouraged to participate in the workshops.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Supporting in implementing the activities at prison in-visit events such as Christmas parties, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and cultural events and activities such as NAIDOC Day, Chinese New Year, etc.
- Supporting with any administrative tasks as required.
- Current valid Blue card (Volunteer)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
Training and supervision will be provided.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here: Position and Job Description – Mothers on Remand Volunteer – Rev 2.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and you are able to meet the time requirements, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.