Location: Southern Queensland Correctional Centre
Volunteer Sessions: Thursdays
- Stay Together Play Together Playgroup – 10.30 am to 1.30 pm and/or
- Keeping Us Together Parent Program – 8.30 am to 10.30 am
Founded in 1982, SHINE for Kids has provided crucial support to children and young people with incarcerated parents and/or relatives for over 35 years. The invisible victims of crime, children experience significant psychological trauma and deep impact on their socio-emotional development as a result of their parent’s imprisonment.
The only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy to adulthood, SHINE for Kids programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
SHINE’s programs are designed to provide support and positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation and intergenerational offending, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
- Playgroup provides opportunities for parents and children to enhance their relationship in a supportive environment, increase their parenting skills and confidence and develop valuable social and family support networks
- Stay Together and Play Together offers high-quality, fun, structured and unstructured play experiences for children and mum in custody and provide opportunities for play-based learning to support positive child development.
- The Keeping Us Together parenting program is offered to mums in custody and helps them to understand the dynamics of and build confidence in building healthy, respectful relationships with their children. The program is structured into six workshops, 2 hours each, with each workshop focusing on a particular component of the parent– child relationship.
These programs are conducted within the relevant visiting and education areas of Southern Queensland Correctional Centre.
- Helping to implement and facilitating the program for the Stay Together Play Together playgroup, ensuring it is meeting the needs of children visiting the Correctional Centre and is implemented, in a flexible, age appropriate, culturally competent and safe manner.
- Supporting in facilitation of the Keeping Us Together parenting program, ensuring mothers in custody feel safe and encouraged to participate in the workshops.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Supporting with any administrative tasks as required.
- Current valid Blue card (Volunteer)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
Training and supervision will be provided.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here: Position and Job Description – Keeping Us Together Volunteer – SQCC – Rev 2.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and you are able to meet the time requirements, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.