Volunteer Location: Townsville Women’s Correctional Centre
When: Monday, Wednesday or Friday
Volunteer Sessions times (subject to change): 8:30am – 11.30am (Playgroup takes place Friday 9.00am – 11.00am)
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD
Playgroup provides opportunities for parents and children to enhance their relationship in a supportive environment, increase their parenting skills and confidence and develop valuable social and family support networks. SHINE for Kids’ Stay Together and Play Together offers high-quality, fun, structured and unstructured play experiences for children and mum in custody and provide opportunities for play-based learning to support positive child development.
The Keeping Us Together parenting program is offered to mums in custody and helps them to understand the dynamics of and build confidence in building healthy, respectful relationships with their children. The program is structured into six workshops, 2 hours each, with each workshop focusing on a particular component of the parent–child relationship. There is also an extended Keeping Us Together Program at Townsville Women’s Correctional Centre which is structured into 15 sessions, over 5 weeks.
What you will doing
- Supporting the Child and Family Coordinator to implement and facilitate the program for the Stay Together Play Together playgroup, ensuring its meeting the needs of children visiting the Correctional Centre and is implemented, in a flexible, age appropriate, culturally competent and safe manner.
- Maintaining an open, warm and professional relationship with all parents (inmate and non-inmate) and share positive information about children with their parents.
- Provide continuous improvement ideas wherever possible to enhance the quality of the services provided within Centres and programs.
- Supporting the Child and Family Coordinator and/or North Queensland Program Manager to facilitate the Keeping Us Together parenting program, ensuring mothers in custody feel safe and encouraged to participate in the workshops.
- Be aware of, and adhere to, SHINE for Kids policies and procedures including the Professional Conduct and Ethics Policy.
- Ensuring that the work carried out contributes to the achievement of the SHINE for Kids Strategic Plan and reflects organisational core values.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Ensuring a safe environment for all those who attend the Centre taking into account child care and protection principles of situational prevention and risk management.
- Supporting the team with any office administrative tasks related to work at the Centre
- Assisting with the provision of good news stories or case studies which promote the achievements of the Programs
Correctional Centre induction training
SHINE for Kids program training and supervision
If this sounds like a volunteering role for you, please read the full position description and submit your application
You are required to hold a valid and paid working with children’s check and be able to pass security clearance checks.
The Position Description is available to download here Keeping Us Together Position and Job Description – TWCC – Rev 1.0
If you have experience in the duties outlined please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing your experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.