Volunteer Location: Townsville Women’s Correctional Centre
When: Tuesday and/or Friday
Volunteer Sessions times (subject to change):
- Keeping Us Together: Tuesday 9.00am – 11.00am
- Stay Together Play Together Playgroup: Friday 9.00am – 11.00am
- Volunteers are required to be present at the prison block by 8.15am
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy through to reaching adulthood at 18, our programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD
Playgroup provides opportunities for parents and children to enhance their relationship in a supportive environment, increase their parenting skills and confidence and develop valuable social and family support networks. SHINE for Kids’ Stay Together and Play Together offers high-quality, fun, structured and unstructured play experiences for children and mum in custody and provide opportunities for play-based learning to support positive child development.
The Keeping Us Together parenting program is offered to mums in custody and helps them to understand the dynamics of and build confidence in building healthy, respectful relationships with their children. The program is structured into six workshops, 2 hours each, with each workshop focusing on a particular component of the parent–child relationship. There is also an extended Keeping Us Together Program at Townsville Women’s Correctional Centre which is structured into 15 sessions, over 5 weeks.
What you will be doing
- Supporting the Child and Family Coordinator to implement and facilitate the program for the Stay Together Play Together playgroup, ensuring its meeting the needs of children visiting the Correctional Centre and is implemented, in a flexible, age appropriate, culturally competent and safe manner.
- Maintaining an open, warm and professional relationship with all parents (inmate and non-inmate) and share positive information about children with their parents.
- Supporting the Child and Family Coordinator and/or North Queensland Program Manager to facilitate the Keeping Us Together parenting program, ensuring mothers in custody feel safe and encouraged to participate in the workshops.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Supporting the team with any office administrative tasks related to work at the Centre
- Current valid Blue card (Volunteer)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
Adequate training and supervision will be provided.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here Position and Job Description – Keeping Us Together TWCC – Rev 3.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and is suitable for you, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.