- Metropolitan Remand Centre (MRC), Melbourne, VIC
- Passionate about making a real difference
- Work life balance in this part-time Friday, Saturday & Sunday
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity in Australia that works solely to support the children and families of people involved in the criminal justice system. We work to lessen the effects of imprisonment on children and families through early intervention, support and information. We advocate for the rights of children at all levels and we believe that our services are needed now more than ever.
SHINE programs are designed to support children, young people and their families and friends when visiting a Correctional Centre. SHINE programs provide age and culturally appropriate activities for children with a parent in prison to connect with other children in the same situation and to have an opportunity to have a more pleasant experience when visiting their parent. The Child and Family Coordinator performs direct service delivery at Metropolitan Remand Centre (MRC) in Melbourne. The Child and Family Coordinator provides family and friends with information, referral services and advocacy.
Main programs delivered include:
- Prison In-Visits Program – The Prison In-Visits program supports positive family interaction and provides a variety of arts, craft and diversionary activities for children to share with their parents. This program is conducted within the relevant visiting area of the Correctional Centre.
- Child/ Parent Activity Days – This program ensures that children are able to stay connected to their parent, maintaining their child-parent bond despite the barriers of prison. This child focused program emphasizes the importance of the offender parent having sole responsibility for their children, having an opportunity to practice their parenting skills and to connect with their children over a longer period of time. This program is only offered in school holidays and is conducted within the Correctional Centre.
You will be responsible for the following areas:
- Prison Programs
- Adminsitration Duties
- Child and Parent Days (2 per year)
- Maintaining an open, warm and professional relationship with all parents (inmate and non-inmate) and all other stakeholders
- Provide continuous improvement ideas wherever possible to enhance the quality of the services provided within SHINE for Kids Child and Family Centres and programs.
- Working in collaboration with community, government and other agencies in order to share resources and effectively utilise each other’s area of expertise and knowledge for the benefit of children, young people and their families.
- Working in collaboration with VIC Corrective Services to build a professional and respectful service delivery partnership.
- Ensure that the work carried out contributes to the achievement of the SHINE for Kids Strategic Plan and reflects organisational core values.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Ensure necessary resources are available to staff and volunteers for the smooth running of the Centre based and prison in-visits programs.
- Ensure a safe environment for all those who attend the Centre taking into account child care and protection principles of situational prevention and risk management.
- Coordinating Centre and prison in-visit events such as Christmas parties, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, NAIDOC Day, Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Eid and any other culturally celebrated events
- Be aware of, and adhere to, SHINE for Kids policies and procedures including the Professional Conduct and Ethics Policy.
- Data entry of case notes, reports and records of client information on the database
- Undertake office administrative tasks related to SHINE Programs
- Ensure that monthly statistics are maintained and reported on
- Assist with the provision of good news stories or case studies which promote the achievements of the Centre and the families who use it
- Supporting and encouraging service user feedback where possible
- Diploma in Child Care or Early Childhood Development
- Current First Aid Certificate and current Anaphylaxis/Asthma and Epilepsy management training
- Current Working with Children Check (Paid)
- Current driver’s licence
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all of our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.
Please note this position involves work within a Correctional Centre environment.
If you have the skills and experience outlined please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing the above skills and experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]