- Location: John Morony Correctional Complex – Berkshire Park
- Passionate about making a real difference
- Work life balance in this part-time position, 6 hours per week, Saturday & Sunday
SHINE for Kids is the only national charity in Australia that works solely to support the children and families of people involved in the criminal justice system. We work to lessen the effects of imprisonment on children and families through early intervention, support and information. We advocate for the rights of children at all levels and we believe that our services are needed now more than ever.
SHINE for Kids provides a range of services across the ACT, NSW, QLD and Victoria. We are looking for passionate and skilled person who want to make a real difference.
Child and Family Centre’s are designed to support children, young people and their families and friends when visiting a Correctional Centre. Child and Family Centre’s provide facilities for children/young people to have ‘time out’, to experience play time, to connect with other children in the same situation and to have an opportunity to have a more pleasant experience when visiting their parent. Child and Family Centre’s also support family and friends with information, referral services and advocacy.
The Child and Family Centre’s offer four important services to visitors:
- Activity sessions – At the Child and Family Centres, children and young people (up to 18 years of age) can participate in a range of tailored activities such craft, games, toys, computer games, drawing and writing, constructions, imaginative play, puzzles and outdoor play where available.
- Drop in Service – Child and Family Centres provide a “drop in” for families before or after a visit. Visitors can use the Centre to relax, have refreshments, change nappies, use the toilet facilities, and wait for their next visit or their transport arrangements back home.
- Prison In-Visits Program – The Prison In-Visits program supports positive family interaction and provides a variety of arts, craft and diversionary activities for children to share with their parents. This program is conducted within the relevant visiting area of the Correctional Centre.
- Child/ Parent Activity Days – This program ensures that children are able to stay connected to their parent, maintaining their child-parent bond despite the barriers of prison. This child focused program emphasizes the importance of the offender parent having sole responsibility for their children, having an opportunity to practice their parenting skills and to connect with their children over a longer period of time. This program is only offered in school holidays and is conducted within the Correctional Centre.
This role will be responsible for the following areas:
- Prison invists (Saturday and Sunday)
- Child and Parent Activity Days (2 per year)
- Recruit and support retain volunteer ensuring compliance with safeguarding children policy and all other SHINE policies and procedures.
- Maintain an open, warm and professional relationship with all parents (inmate and non-inmate) and share positive information about children with their parents.
- Provide continuous improvement ideas wherever possible to enhance the quality of the services provided within SHINE for Kids Child and Family Centres and programs.
- Work in collaboration with community, government and other agencies in order to share resources and effectively utilise each other’s area of expertise and knowledge for the benefit of children, young people and their families.
- Work in collaboration with NSW Corrective Services to build a professional and respectful service delivery partnership.
- Be aware of, and adhere to, SHINE for Kids policies and procedures including the Professional Conduct and Ethics Policy.
- Ensure that the work carried out contributes to the achievement of the SHINE for Kids Strategic Plan and reflects organisational core values.
- Promote a caring, culturally appropriate and nonjudgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect.
- Ensure a safe environment for all those who attend the Centre taking into account child care and protection principles of situational prevention and risk management.
- Diploma in Child Care or equivalent experience
- Current First Aid Certificate and current Anaphylaxis/Asthma and Epilepsy management training
- Current Working with Children Check (Paid)
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive staff to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all of our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.
Please note this position involves work within a Correctional Centre environment.
If you have the skills and experience outlined please forward your resume and a cover letter addressing the above skills and experience, plus any other information that you feel is relevant to your ability to perform this role to [email protected]