Location: Alexander Maconochie Centre – ACT
Volunteer Sessions: Wednesday to Sunday
Prison Invisits – 9:30am to 6:45pm
Child and Parent Activity Days (x 8 per year)
Founded in 1982, SHINE for Kids has provided crucial support to children and young people with incarcerated parents and/or relatives for over 35 years. The invisible victims of crime, children experience significant psychological trauma and deep impact on their socio-emotional development as a result of their parent’s imprisonment.
The only national charity to provide services to support children and young people from infancy to adulthood, SHINE for Kids programs operate in secure, open custody, and transitional correctional facilities throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and QLD.
SHINE’s programs are designed to provide support and positive opportunities to reduce the likelihood of children transitioning into child protection and justice systems, help avoid family fragmentation and intergenerational offending, and to reduce both juvenile and adult recidivism.
The Child and Family Centre in ACT offers three important services to visitors:
- Prison In-Visits Program – The Prison In-Visits program supports positive family interaction and provides a variety of arts, craft and diversionary activities for children to share with their parents. This program is conducted within the relevant visiting area of the Correctional Centre.
- Child / Parent Activity Days – This program ensures that children are able to stay connected to their parent, maintaining their child-parent bond despite the barriers of prison. This child focused program emphasizes the importance of the offender parent having sole responsibility for their children, having an opportunity to practice their parenting skills and to connect with their children over a longer period of time. This program is only offered in school holidays and is conducted within the Correctional Centre.
- Storytime Program – This program is designed to increase literacy skills and child/parent bonding for incarcerated parents and their children. The activity includes maintaining contact between parent and child/ren in an interactive positive way by having the opportunity to do a very important parenting role and that is, to be able to read a story to their child/ren.
- Supporting the ACT Programs Coordinator to deliver the program at the Centre and Prison in-Visits program, ensuring they’re meeting the needs of children visiting the Correctional Centre and are implemented, in a flexible, age appropriate, culturally competent and safe manner.
- Supporting the Coordinator in running events such as Christmas parties, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and cultural events and activities such NAIDOC Day, Chinese New Year, etc.
- Promoting a caring, culturally appropriate and non-judgmental environment for children where they are the priority and where they, and their families, are treated with dignity and respect
- Supporting the Coordinator in office administrative tasks as required
- Current Working with Vulnerable People card
- Our organisation undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care. This includes reference checks, Identity check, qualification checks, Criminal History Records Check (where applicable) and professional registration checks.
Training and supervision will be provided.
For more details on the role, please find the full position description available here: Position and Job Description – Child and Family Centre and Prison In-Visits Volunteer – ACT – Rev 2.0
If this volunteering opportunity is what you are looking for and you are able to meet the time requirements, please submit your expression of interest to join our volunteer team now and make a world of difference.
Everyone at SHINE for Kids from Executive to volunteers take seriously our commitment and responsibility to safeguarding children and young people across all our programs and services in a supportive environment that is caring, safe, nurturing, free from bullying, abuse, exploitation and neglect.