Location: Kariong and surrounds
- Located on the NSW North Coast
- Join our best practice volunteer program
- Mentor a young person in the juvenile justice system
- Ongoing training and support provided to mentors
SHINE for Kids has been addressing the issues and difficulties faced by children of prisoners and their families for over 30 years. SHINE for Kids is a not-for-profit co-operative that provides services and support to this vulnerable group. As part of these services, SHINE for Kids offers a mentoring program for young people transitioning from juvenile detention back into the community.
Studies have shown that for young people leaving the juvenile justice system, the risk of re-offending is dependent on the degree of support they receive while transitioning from detention back into the community. SHINE for Kids has a strengths-based approach, and works towards reducing recidivism for young offenders.
The role of a volunteer mentor
The role of a mentor is to connect with the young person and build a trusting relationship, becoming a consistent person in their life. The relationship between mentor and mentee will begin approximately 4 months prior to the young person being released from a juvenile detention centre and contact will occur on a fortnightly basis.
Upon release the mentor will provide one-on-one support to the young person for a period of 12 months or more. During this time the mentor and mentee will participate in social outings and other activities tailored to meet the needs and interests of the young person. The mentor provides the mentee with opportunities to develop broader social skills and offers support to promote attitudinal change, which in turn contributes to the quality of life, self esteem, confidence and resilience of the young person.
- All volunteers must be over 24 years of age
- Volunteers will attend an assessment interview
- Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check are then completed
- A two-day intensive training package will then be provided to ensure mentors are fully equipped to fulfil their roles
- All mentors will receive ongoing supervision and support from SHINE for Kids
- Training dates to be advised on expression of interest
Children have the right to be protected from all kinds of harm. SHINE for Kids is committed to creating a safe and child-friendly environment for children and young people. SHINE for Kids conducts background checks on all applicants.