Building futures where kids can SHINE
Current estimates are that there are over 14,500 children affected by their parents’ imprisonment in NSW in any one year. There are many more in Victoria, ACT, Queensland and the rest of Australia.
These children are hidden in the community and can feel very isolated and stigmatised. SHINE for Kids assists and supports children of prisoners to develop coping mechanisms and provides opportunities for these children to support each other.
Building futures where kids can “shine”.
SHINE for Kids works with and for young Australians affected by family member involvement in the criminal justice system. We support them and help create hope, we inspire them to reach their potential, we nurture their growth and we empower them to succeed.
Our Core Values
- We will focus on the best interests of children and young people at all times
- We will consult children and young people and consider their issues
- We will treat people consistently and with respect
- We will respect confidentiality
- We will act lawfully and ethically
We will fulfil commitments we have made
- We will provide children and young people, their families and carers with the necessary tools to achieve each child’s fullest potential
- We will encourage people to accept responsibility and be accountable for their actions
- We will celebrate and recognise achievements, innovation and initiative
SHINE for Kids Commitment Statement (Standard 1)
We take seriously our responsibility to deliver all our programs in a supportive environment that is caring, nurturing and safe. Our board of directors approves and endorses SHINE for Kids’ commitment to safeguarding children and young people from abuse and neglect.
It is the responsibility of all at SHINE for Kids, from executive to staff and volunteers, to understand the important responsibility they have to:
- protect children and young people from all forms of abuse, bullying and exploitation by our people;
- be alert to incidents of child abuse and neglect occurring outside the scope of our operations and services that may have an impact on the children and young people to whom we provide a service; and
- create and maintain a child safe culture that is understood, endorsed and put into action by all the individuals who work for, volunteer or access our programs and services.